When looking to lose weight, tone up or just get fit most women tend to turn to cardio, however if any of the above are your goals - weight lifting is crucial!
Sadly a lot of women still believe in the misconception that women shouldn't lift weights as it will make them bulky or make them resemble a she-hulk.
This, of course, is not true and strength training has many benefits and perks. Below we have listed 7 reasons why women should lift weights (although there are 100s!)
- You'll burn more fat - Weight training has an afterburn effect and after each session your metabolism will be raised for 24-48 hours after your workout. On top of that, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn at rest, which will help speed up fat loss.
- You will become more 'toned'- While cardio can help you lose weight and get smaller everywhere, weight lifting helps you actually change the shape of your body and improve any problem areas. You can lift and grow your booty, make your shoulders rounder or any other changes that you would like to make to the shape of your body using weight lifting.
- Your bones will become stronger - This is probably not something you worry about now, but your body will thank you in the future. Weight lifting increases bone density and makes them stronger thus helping prevent many health problems such as osteoporosis.
- You'll have more energy - Weight training has a very positive impact on your psychological well being. Spending hours on the cross trainer or treadmill can really drain your energy; lifting, on the other hand actually boosts “feel-good” chemicals in the brain.
- You'll become healthier - Improving your hearth health, lowering your LDL (bad cholesterol), increasing insulin sensitivity - weight training will do all of these things, who wouldn't want to be healthier?
- You'll become stronger - Not only physically but also mentally. Not only lifting heavy weights will help you be able to carry your own grocery bags or move your own furniture (when you decide to rearrange your home :), you will also toughen up mentally as it will help you become more determined.
- You'll become more confident - Inevitably, lifting weights will boost your confidence. You may feel intimidated when you get to the weight room at the beginning and have lots of worries about people watching you but trust me - if you stick to it, you will come out on top. You will learn to not focus on anyone else but yourself while you get your training done each time you walk in the gym you will feel more and more like you it!
So here you have 7 reasons on why you, as a woman should lift weights (and 0 reasons why not!).